Lieutenant Governor of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, Manoj Sinha, inaugurated the Wildlife Week 2021 on October 2, 2021 at Sher-e-Kashmir International Convention Centre (SKICC) in Srinagar.
- Wildlife Week 2021 is being observed from October 2nd to October 8th.
- This week is an effort to raise awareness among people for the protection of wildlife resources.
- On the occasion, government of J&K has opened Dachigam National Park for public. To provide easy access to the park, permission will be granted using an online portal which is operated by J&K Forest and Wildlife Department.
About Wildlife Week
- India observes Wildlife Week from October 2nd to October 8th every year with the aim of protecting India’s fauna.
- During the week, experts conduct workshops in order to make people understand the importance of wildlife conservation.
- During the week, several awareness-building activities are organised across different levels in order to make people aware about wildlife.
Why this week is celebrated?
- This week is celebrated because; wildlife plays a crucial role in maintaining the ecological balance of nature.
- Any harm to it can pose threat to entire ecosystem. Thus, it becomes important to preserve flora and fauna.
- India is a biological hotspot. It supports a number of animal species.
- India is home to more than 7 percent of world’s biodiversity.
- Faunal wealth of India is also incredibly diverse.
- It accounts for 7.4% of the world’s fauna.
History of Wildlife Week
- First ever Wildlife Week was observed in the year 1957.
- Wildlife Week 2021 is the 67th edition.
- Wildlife Week was conceptualised by the Indian Board of Wildlife in 1952 in order to raise the awareness regarding long-term goals of protecting the wildlife across India.
- Initially, Wildlife Day was celebrated in 1955, but in 1957 it was upgraded as the Wildlife Week.
Theme of Wildlife Week 2021
Wildlife Week 2021 is being celebrated under the theme “Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet”.