2 October 2021
Union Environment Minister Bhupender Yadav started
- Tiger Rallies were started across 51 reserves as a part of “Wildlife Week Celebration” and “Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav”.
- In seven days, from October 2 to October 8, these rallies would cover a distance of about 7,500 km.
- Rallies would be traversing the diverse and picturesque landscapes across the country.
- Rallies were virtually kicked off in three tiger reserves namely,
- Biligiri Ranganathaswamy Temple (BRT) Tiger Reserve, Karnataka
- Navegaon Nagzira Tiger Reserve, Maharashtra and
- Sanjay Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh.
Guidelines on sustainable eco-tourism
- On the occasion, minister also released guidelines on sustainable eco-tourism across the forest and wildlife areas.
- Guidelines on field guide to monitor the Ganges & Indus River dolphins, aquatic fauna & habitat including Nagar Van guidelines were released.
Online Portal on Wetlands
- An online portal on wetlands was also released which will act as a single-point access for all information related to such ecosystems.
Theme of the rallies
- The rallies were kicked off with the theme “India for Tigers- A Rally on Wheels”.
- The rally will journey across 51 tiger reserves in 18 tiger range States.
- In the range states, field directors, deputy directors & associated staff of the tiger reserves will follow an assigned routes and unite at a designated focal point of celebration.
- Focal point of the celebration is the first nine tiger reserves that were designated during the launch of Project Tiger in 1973.
Aim of the rally
The rallies were started with the aim of raising awareness regarding the importance of tiger conservation. It will bring together people from different areas.