18 June 2021.
World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought was observed on June 17, 2021 to raise awareness on land degradation, desertification and drought. Theme of the day for year 2021 was” Restoration, Land, Recovery”.
- This day is an opportunity to remind people about land degradation neutrality which can be achieved through problem-solving, strong community involvement and co-operation across all the levels.
- On the occasion, Union Minister for Environment, Forest & Climate Change Prakash Javadekar highlighted that India is on track to achieve target of land degradation neutrality and will restore 26 million hectares of degraded land by 2030.
World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought
- June 17 is observed by United Nations every year every year.
- Its purpose is to raise awareness on existing desertification and drought and highlighting methods to prevent desertification & recovering from drought.
- This day was proclaimed by a General Assembly Resolution of UN on January 30, 1995.
2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- This day seeks to protect planet from degradation through sustainable consumption & production and sustainably managing its natural resources.
- It also takes urgent action on climate change to support the needs of present and future generations.
SDG Goal 15
- This SDG focuses on “Life on Land”.
- It officially reads as “Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt & reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss”.