19 June 2021.
According to a study conducted to project different greenhouse gas scenario, Sea-level will rise around Lakshadweep Islands by 0.4 mm/year to 0.9 mm/year.
- As per the study, all the islands in archipelago would be vulnerable to impact of sea-level rise.
- Smaller islands Chetlat and Amini are expected to have major land-loss.
- About 60%-70% of existing shoreline would experience land-loss in Amini and 70%-80% in Chetlat.
- Larger islands Minicoy and Kavaratti are also vulnerable to sea-level rise. They will experience land-loss along 60% of existing shoreline.
- Sea-level rise effects will have least impact on Androth Island under all emission scenarios.
- The only airport in archipelago is located at southern tip of Agatti Island, and has a risk of damage due to sea-level rise.
What does study suggest for protection of island?
- To have appropriate coastal protection measures and best –practices to formunlate planning guidelines.
- To have future research which will assess directional nature of wave energy, impact of storminess in Arabian Sea region.
- To take care of amenities like potable water, sanitation etc.