31 July 2020.
The 6th BRICS Environment meeting was held online via video conferencing under the presidency of Russia on 30th July 2020.The environment ministers of all the 6 countries participated in the meeting.
- Union Environment Minister Prakash Javdekar represented India in the meeting and emphasised India’s concern towards attaining SDG( Sustainable Development Goal).
- The meeting was preceded by the BRICS Working Group meeting.
- He also showcased India’s great initiative towards tackling air pollution, marine litter and river cleanliness.
- The Air quality index Monitoring System has been extended to 122 cities.
- National Clean Air Programme launched last year was brought under discussion in the meeting. The goal of the programme is to reduce particulate matter pollution 20-30 per cent relative to 2017 levels by 2024.
- India offered to provide the platform wherein all the best practices in environmental management in BRICS countries could be displayed.
- The Union Minister extended India’s invitation to the BRICS nations for the upcoming environment meeting which is going to be held in India in 2021.
- It is composed of five major emerging economies- Brazil, India, China, Russia and South Africa.
- It was formed in the year 2009.
- Russia and South Africa together represent 42% of the population, 30% of the territory, 18% of the global trade and 23% of GDP.
- Every year the member countries meet at annual BRICS summit held by member state turn by turn to discuss the recent progress and happenings across the world.
- This year the annual summit was planned to be held in Russia but had to be postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.