1 August 2020.
Lead poisoning is affecting children on a massive and previously unknown scale, according to a new report launched by UNICEF and Pure Earth.
- World’s one –third population which is about 800 million are affected by lead poisoning.
- Half of the affected are from South-Asia.
- India accounts for 275,561,163 of these cases.
- Lead is a potent neurotoxin and causes irreparable harm to the brains of small children. It causes low levels of IQ.
- Kidney damage and cardiovascular diseases are also found in the older age group children.
- Children mainly from the lower economic strata are more at risk, specially the ones working in factories where recycle of lead is done.
- However, lead can be recycled safely without exposing the workers.