Bonn Global Biodiversity Conclave is being organised in Bonn, Germany. This conclave is mainly focusing on sustainable use of wild species.
- During the conclave “Assessment on the Sustainable Use of Wild Species” report will be published at the 9th conference of “Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)”.
- 9th conference of IPBES is scheduled to held on July 8, 2022.
- Report will be made on the basis of earlier IPBES assessment reports.
New Assessment on the Sustainable Use of Wild Species report
- New report will incorporate the details on diverse uses of wild species and practices that are connected with them, these practices include, Gathering, Logging, Fishing, observing and Terrestrial animal harvesting (shearing and hunting).
- It will investigate, what ‘sustainable use’ implies and how it is associated to United Nations-mandated Sustainable Development Goals.
- Authors of the report will also look after tools and methods to assess, measure and manage the sustainable use of wild species.
- They will also read about effectiveness of policy options, in order to govern the sustainable use of wild species in a better manner. Such policies include trade & incentives, governance. They would also highlight, why and for whom the sustainable use of wild species is unavoidable.
- Report will also explore the links between sustainable use of wild species and challenges associated with it, including climate change & land use.
Report on Indian rules
- According to the authors of report, India follows one of strictest laws on wildlife protection worldwide.
- In India, killing of any wildlife is a non-bailable offence.
- But they maintain that, India needs to revise rules because stringent rules are good to some extent, but puts the vulnerable communities at risks.
- Vulnerable communities include tribal or people depending on forest resources.