The World Environment Day 2022 was observed on June 5. It is led by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
World Environment Day :
The World Environment Day is celebrated raise awareness on degrading environmental conditions as well as to encourage people worldwide to take positive environmental actions in order to help in creating a better future.
Origin of World Environment Day;
- The United Nations Conference on Human Environment or the Stockholm conference was held in 1972.
- It was the first world conference with environment as its major agenda.
- It declared “right to live in a healthy environment” as “basic human right”. With this, the idea of World Environment Day was formalized.
- This conference also led to the creation of United Nations Environment Programme.
Significance of the Day
- In the last century, progress of mankind led to a massive increase in exploitation of natural resources.
- Environmental issues like climate change, marine pollution, and depletion of flora and fauna have only increased with passing decade.
- Thus, World Environment Day has become a global platform for people to participate in several campaigns to spread awareness on environmental protection.
- This day is celebrated under a specific theme and slogan that addresses the major environmental concern of the time.
- Year 2022 is more significant because it marks 50 years since 1972 Stockholm conference.
The World Environment Day is hosted by a different country each year. For year 2022, Sweden is the host country.
Slogan of the day:
Slogan for World Environment Day 2022 is “Only One Earth”. It focuses on living sustainably in harmony with nature.
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- UNEP was established by Maurice Strong, following the June 1972 United Nations Conference on Human Environment.
- It is responsible for coordinating responses to environmental issues. Maurice Strong was its first director.