Global initiative “Lifestyle for Environment Movement” was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the occasion of “World Environment Day” on June 5, 2022.
- During the launch of initiative, PM noted that, challenges on earth are well-known to all. Thus, there is a need of human-centric, collective efforts and robust action to strengthen the sustainable development.
- LiFE initiative was launched with the vision of living a lifestyle, which is in line with planet Earth and does not harm it.
- People living such a lifestyle are called as “Pro-Planet People”.
- LiFE initiative borrows from the past, operates in present as well as focuses on future.
LiFE Global Call for Papers
- The launch also initiated ‘LiFE Global Call for Papers’, and invited ideas and suggestions from universities, academics, and research institutions etc in a bid to influence and persuade individuals, organisations and communities across the globe in a bid to adopt an environment conscious lifestyle.
About the idea of LiFE :
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi introduced the idea of LiFE, in 2021 during the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference of Parties (COP-26) in Glasgow.
- The idea of LiFE promotes an environment conscious lifestyle, focusing on deliberate and mindful utilisation instead of destructive and mindless and consumption.
World Environment Day
The World Environment Day is observed on June 5 every year. It is observed by United Nations’ principal vehicle to encourage awareness and action for protecting environment. It was first observed in 1973. This platform is used for raising awareness on environmental issues like marine pollution, global warming, overpopulation, wildlife crime and sustainable development.