25 September 2021.
World’s highest EV charging station was opened at Kaza town, which is located in of Lahaul and Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh.
- The EV charging station was opened on September 23, 2021 in order to promote a sustainable environment.
- It is the world’s highest electric vehicle charging station located at 500 ft.
- Along with the EV charging station, two women drove electric vehicles from Manali to Kaza to promote a clean and green environment.
- All the products including chargers of this station are made in India.
India’s EV ecosystem
- India is gaining good momentum in the electric vehicle (EV) ecosystem.
- There is a good response for battery-operated small electric vehicles such as e-scooter, e-rickshaws, electric three-wheelers, e-carts, and e-bikes in India. Currently, road ministry is planning to run railway, metro, and long-run intercity buses on green hydrogen fuel.
- Battery electric vehicle as well as fuel cell vehicle technologies are complementary to each other.
- These technologies are all set to overtake fossil-run automotive by 2050 in India.
- Kaza Town is the sub-divisional headquarters of Spiti Valley.
- It is located in western Himalayas in Lahaul and Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh.
- Spiti is a high altitude or cold desert which is having close similarities to the neighbouring Tibet and Ladakh regions with respect to the terrain, climate and the Buddhist culture.
- Kaza is situated along the Spiti River, at the elevation of 3,650 metres. It is the largest township and commercial center in Spiti valley.