24 June 2021.
Colombia accounts for 20% of all known species. As per recent study it is home to world’s largest variety of butterflies.
- International team of scientists classified 3,642 species and 2,085 subspecies.
- They registered the species in document titled “Checklist of Colombian Butterflies.”
- About 200 butterfly species are found in Colombia.
- Project researchers travelled widely in Colombia and analysed about 350,000 photographs.
- Colombia is a country having great diversity of natural habitats.
- It is having a complex and heterogeneous geography.
- It is located in a privileged location of extreme northeast of South America.
- It is bounded by Caribbean Sea, Panama, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, Brazil, and Pacific Ocean.
- It’s rich cultural heritage is highly influenced by various Amerindian civilizations, European settlement, forced African labour, and immigration from Europe & Middle East.
Biodiversity in Colombia
- Colombia is one among megadiverse countries.
- It ranks first in bird species.
- It has around 40,000 and 45,000 plant species accounting for 10 to 20% of total global species.
- It is second most biodiverse country of the world, following Brazil.
- Country has 10% of world’s mammals species, 14% of amphibian species and 18% of bird species.