24 May 2021.
World Turtle Day was celebrated on May 23, 2021. It is observed to raise awareness among people about turtle & tortoise and their habitats. Celebration of the day is sponsored by a non-profit organisation “American Tortoise Rescue (ATR)” since 2000. Theme for 2021 is- ‘Turtle Rocks!’.
Aim of World Turtle Day
- World Turtle Day is celebrated every year on May 23 with the aim of bringing attention to turtles and tortoise besides increasing knowledge and respect for them.
- This day also encourages human action to help the turtles and tortoise survive and thrive.
- The day is considered among most effective of species awareness days which increases search for information on turtles online.
- American Tortoise Rescue which was founded in 1990 is the founding sponsor of World Turtle Day. However, “WORLD TURTLE DAY” term was trademarked by Susan Tellem.
- They are reptiles, characterized by a bony or cartilaginous shell or a carapace that developed from their ribs.
- Shell acts as a shield. Earliest known members of turtle dates back to Middle Jurassic.
- Thus, they are the oldest reptile groups even older than snakes or crocodiles.
- They are land-dwellers as well as amphibians. Largest sea turtle is “Leatherback turtle”.
- They are reptile species from family Testudinidae.
- They are distinguished from turtles as they are exclusively land-dwelling.
- They also have a shell for protection from predation and other threats.