24 May 2021.
Government of Democratic Republic of Congo has launched an evacuation plan for “eastern city of Goma” after the eruption of Mount Nyiragongo volcano.
- Volcano of Mount Nyiragono is located 10 km from Goma.
- After eruption, it has led to thousands of residents very frightened.
- So, they are now fleeing towards Rwanda in east.
- This volcano was last erupted in 2002 and killed 250 people. It had left 1.2 lakh people homeless.
About Mount Nyiragongo
- It is one of the world’s most active and dangerous volcanoes.
- It has an elevation of 3,470 m in Virunga Mountains which are associated with Albertine Rift.
- Volcano is located inside Virunga National Park, in Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Main crater of volcano is about two kilometres wide and is comprises of lava lake.
- The crater presently has two distinct cooled lava benches within the crater walls – one at about 3,175 m (10,417 ft) and a lower one at about 2,975 m (9,760 ft).
- Nyiragongo and Nyamuragira are together responsible for 40 percent of historical volcanic eruptions in Africa.
Virunga National Park
- This National park is located in Albertine Rift Valley in eastern part of Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- It was opened in 1925.
- This is the first protected areas in Africa.
- It has been listed in List of World Heritage in Danger since 1994.