13 May 2021.
The Pacific Football Fish also known as the “Monster looking fish “was recently spotted on a California coast. It is usually found in deep sea. It is black in colour and very rare to find near the coast or washed away in coastal areas as they live in deep seas.
About Pacific Football Fish
- The Pacific Football fish are 60 centimetres in length.
- Only female Pacific Football fish has bioluminescent tips that are used to hunt prey in the darkness of water that is 3,000 feet deep.
- They have large teeth.
- Their large mouth is capable of swallowing prey that is the size of their own body.
- These fish are found at great depths of the seas. Recently. Mariana Trench is the deepest point in the world. The Five Deeps Expedition explored deepest points in five oceans of the world. It discovered that there is aquatic life at 11,000 meters in the Mariana Trench of Pacific Ocean.
- It is the production and emission of light by a living organism. It occurs in vertebrates, invertebrates, bioluminescent bacteria and terrestrial anthropod.
- Usually, this bioluminescence involves a light emitting molecule called luciferin and an enzyme called luciferase. The Enzyme catalyses oxidation of luciferin.
It is listed under Least Concern in IUCN list of threatened species.
Why the fish is called a monster?
Males latch onto the females with their teeth and become “sexual parasites”. Eventually they coalesce (come together to form one mass or whole). This happens with the female till nothing is left of their form except tested for reproduction.