17 November 2020.
Energy Efficiency Services Ltd, a joint venture of PSUs under the ministry of power has signed a memorandum of understanding with Government of Goa to set upIndia’s first convergence project to generate green energy for rural and agriculture consumption in the state.
About the Project;
- The project is to focus on energy solutions that are evolved based on the concepts that combine climate change, renewable energy and Artificial Intelligence.
- The main objective of the project is to connect sectors such as LED lights, solar energy and energy storage in order to provide solutions that will enable decarbonisation.
- Goa had set a target of generating 150 MW of green energy in next three years. Also, it has plans to set up 100 MW of solar power plants. The project will help Goa achieve its targets.
What are Convergence Projects?
- Convergence projects are those projects where physical, social, institutional and economic infrastructure is integrated.
- Also, it involves several schemes to achieve its goals. For instance, the Smart City mission of India is a convergence project.
- It involves Ministry of Urban Development, ministry of power, ministry of new and renewable energy, etc.
- It achieves its goals in broad areas such as development of road infrastructure, tap water connections, housing for all, internet, etc.
Green Energy in India
- As of September 2020, 36.17% of installed electricity generation in India is from renewable sources. India is moving closer in achieving its goals under Paris Agreement.
- The Intended Nationally Determined Contributions target of India is to achieve 40% of total electricity generation from non-fossil fuels by 2030.
- GoI has set a target of achieving installing 40 GW of roof top solar energy by 2022.
- India has set an ambitious target of achieving 450 GW of renewable energy by 2022.