17 August 2020.
National Thermal Power Corporation, NTPC has developed an infrastructure at Rihand project in Uttar Pradesh to transport fly ash in bulk to cement plants at a cheaper cost.
- The initiative is in line with NTPC’s commitment to achieve 100 percent productive utilization of fly ash from power plants.
- The innovation will pave the way for efficient and safer transportation of fly ash from the power plants to cement production units located at far away distances, in larger quantity.
- As per the data, almost 44.33 million tonnes of fly ash was utilized for various productive purposes in 2019-20.
- This was 73.31% of the total ash generated.
- Fly ash is a coal combustion product.
Significance of the project:
- 1999- Ministry of Environment issued notification to ensure 100% utilisation of fly ash.
- It was amended in 2003 and 2009. However it got missed by 40 %.
- December 31st 2017 was kept as a revised deadline to achieve 100% utilisation. However, only 55.7% is used till date.
- The infrastructure developed by NTPC is important to achieve 100% utilisation.
Use of Fly ash:
- Ultra high volume fly ash concrete is developed for widespread use.
- Fly ash is currently used in low to moderate strength concrete.
- It is also used in cement.
- Bricks made of fly ash are a good replacement to the normal bricks.