18 December 2022.
At the UN Biodiversity Conference (COP15), the United Nations has recognized ten ground-breaking initiatives from across the world for their role in restoring the natural ecosystems.
What are World Restoration Flagships?
- World Restoration Flagships of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration are the winning ecosystem restoration initiatives that are recognized by the United Nations.
- They are recognized for promoting the best practices of large-scale and long-term ecosystem restoration while also embodying the Ten Restoration Principles of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
- These initiatives are eligible for receiving UN-backed promotion, advice, or funding.
- They were chosen under the United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
- Unit 2030, regular calls for World Restoration Flagships will be launched.
Which are the 2022 World Restoration Flagships?
- At COP15 Montreal, the UN recognized 10 initiatives as 2022 World Restoration Flagships. Together, the 10 flagships seek to restore more than 68 million hectares – an area that is larger than Myanmar, France or Somalia – and create some 15 million jobs.
- The ten World Restoration Flagships are Trinational Atlantic Forest Pact (Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina), Abu Dhabi Marine Restoration (UAE), Great Green Wall (African Union), Namami Gange (India), Multi-Country Mountain Initiative (Serbia, Kyrgyzstan, Uganda and Rwanda), Small Island Developing States Restoration Drive (Vanuatu, St Lucia and Comoros), Altyn Dala Conservation Initiative (Kazakhstan), Central American Dry Corridor (Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama), Building with Nature (Indonesia), and Shan-Shui Initiative (China).
What is UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration?
- The UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration is a global movement that was jointly coordinated by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
- This global movement aims to prevent and reverse degradation of natural spaces across the world. It highlights the importance of restoring ecosystems in ending poverty, combating climate change and preventing mass extinction.
- It also recognizes the role of long-term efforts in achieving ecosystem restoration.