7 May 2022.
According to Mercom’s India Solar Project Tracker, Rajasthan became the first state in the country to surpass 10 GW of cumulative large-scale solar installations.
- Rajasthan has a total of 32.5 GW of installed power capacity.
- Renewable energy contributes to 55% of installed power capacity. Whereas thermal energy contributes 43%, and nuclear energy contributes the remaining 2%.
The share of solar energy?
- Solar is the predominant source in Rajasthan, which accounts for around 36% of the power capacity mix and 64% of renewables.
- According to Mercom’s India Solar Project Tracker, Rajasthan has over 16 GW of solar projects under development.
Favorable conditions in Rajasthan for the generation of solar power.
The favorable conditions are:
- Rajasthan enjoys the highest solar irradiation levels in India.
- Availability of land to commission solar projects.
- Minimal power curtailment issues.
Rajasthan’s solar energy policy?
- Rajasthan’s Solar Energy Policy 2019, which aims to achieve a target of 30 GW of solar power by the FY 2024-25.
- Of this, utility or grid-scale solar parks have a major share, which will account for 24 GW.
- As of December 2021, the cumulative solar installed capacity of India is 55GW. Within the 55GW, grid-connected utility-scale projects contribute 77%.
- It is a subsidiary of the US-based Mercom Capital Group. It is a clean energy research and communications firm providing expertise in Indian cleantech markets.