4 March 2022.
At its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) marked its 50-year anniversary. Participants pledged to rally behind the idea of a green and inclusive future.
- In the recently concluded UN Environment Assembly 175 countries supported a landmark resolution to end plastic waste by forming an intergovernmental committee to negotiate and finalize a legally binding agreement by 2024.
- The high-level event, named UNEP@50, will mark the 50th anniversary of the United Nations Environment Programme which was founded in 1972.
The theme of the event
“Strengthening UNEP for the implementation of the environmental dimension of 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development” is the theme for the UNEP@50 event.
Events under UNEP@50
Under UNEP@50, a year-long series of activities and outreach events are being organized to mark UNEP’s 50th anniversary. These events are being held to recognize the progress made on global environmental matters and address the upcoming planetary challenges.
Work of the UNEP
- For the past 50 years, UNEP has led a global effort to address the world’s biggest environmental issues.
- The collaboration has helped in repairing the ozone layer, phasing out leaded fuel, preventing the extinction of some endangered species, etc.
- The rigorous scientific research and convening power of the UNEP has provided a platform for countries to act boldly, engage, and advance the global environmental agenda.
- UNEP has worked closely with its 193-member states and other stakeholders since its formation to galvanize global commitments and coordinated action to address many of the world’s environmental challenges.
- It has also played the role of the docking station for 15 multilateral environmental agreements.