3 March 2022.
Researchers have discovered an astounding new species of orchid in the cloud rainforest of Northern Ecuador.
- It has been scientifically named Maxillaria anacatalina-portillae.
- This plant is unique with its showy, intense yellow flowers.
- It was described by Polish orchidologists in association with an Ecuadorian company working in in orchid research, cultivation and supply.
- The discovery was aided by local commercial nursery, involved in cultivating these orchids.
Critically Endangered Species
Orchid is known from a restricted area in Carchi province. It is presumed to be a critically endangered species, because its rare populations already experience ill-effects of climate change and human activity.
- In the past few years, scientists have been working on classification and species delimitations within Neotropical genus Maxillaria.
- It is one of the biggest genera in orchid family. Scientists have investigated materials deposited in most of the world’s herbarium collections in Europe and America.
- They conducted several field trips in South America to search astonishing plants.
- The first specimens of Maxillaria anacatalina-portillae were collected in 2003 in Maldonado, Carchi Province of northern Ecuador.
- Orchidaceae are commonly called the orchid family. It is a diverse and widespread family of flowering plants.
- Its blooms are often colourful and fragrant. They are one among two largest families of flowering plants.
- Orchidaceae have around 28,000 currently accepted species. They are distributed in 763 genera