15 December 2021.
Maharashtra Government is in process to introduce a comprehensive curriculum for Grades I-VIII, in a bid to inculcate climate-consciousness and green values in the next generation.
- This new curriculum has been developed by the Department of Environment and Climate Change and UNICEF.
- Curriculum is named as “Majhi Vasundhara (MV) Curriculum”.
- It is being introduced with the aim of inculcating application-based awareness on issues like climate change among students from Grades I-VIII.
- This awareness will be raised among students by keeping a balance between traditional and local knowledge.
Significance of the MV Curriculum
- MV Curriculum is significant because, in this hour of climate emergency, survival of humans on Earth entirely depends on our actions.
- Introduction of this curriculum is an attempt to get the next generation to start with a green thumb as well as to be proactively involved in pro-earth lifestyle.
- This curriculum is about helping children to interact with their environment in a better manner.
- It will help in preparing young minds to respect, protect and save the environment.
Who has developed this solution?
The MV curriculum has been developed with the help of UNICEF in a bid to raise awareness about climate change and instil responsibility towards Earth in primary school education.
My Vasundhara (My Earth) initiative
This initiative was launched by Maharashtra Government for environmental conservation and protection. It focuses on all the five elements of nature called “Panchmahabhutas”.
Key to NEP’s success
Development of the Curriculum also holds key to NEP’s success. It is in the form of activity-based lesson plans. Process of development of this curriculum includes:
- Assessment of existing curriculum
- Development of a framework for lesson plans and
- Complementing the existing curriculum.