18 November 2021.
Ministry of Food Processing Industry (MoFPI) inked MoU with Department of Animal husbandry and Dairying (DAHD) on November 17, 2021.
- The MoU was signed in order to facilitate extension of benefits to dairy entrepreneurs and dairy industries by convergence of several schemes by the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
- It will also help in generating income for sustainable development of rural poor by providing credit support, providing necessary technology and by strengthening quality control.
- Such synergized efforts will help farmers in doubling their income by means of livestock sector.
- It refers to selective breeding and livestock raising.
- It is the management and care of animals in which genetic qualities and behaviour of animals are developed to earn profit. Animal husbandry sector supports the livelihood of around 55% of the rural population in India.
- According to Economic Survey-2021, contribution of Livestock in agriculture & allied sector Gross Value Added (at Constant Prices) increased from 24.32% in 2014-15 to 28.63% in 2018-19. India is the highest livestock owner worldwide.
20th Livestock Census
According to 20th Livestock Census, Livestock population is 535.78 million in India, accounting for an increase of 4.6% over Livestock Census-2012.
Significance of the Animal Husbandry
- This sector has contributed significantly towards empowerment of women by increasing their income and role in society.
- It works as a major risk mitigation approach for small and marginal farmers, specifically across the rain-fed regions in India.
- This sector is considered as the “centre of poverty alleviation programs” with respect to equity and livelihood.