12 November 2021.
During COP26 conference in Glasgow, it was decided that Egypt will host COP27 United Nations Climate Change Conference in 2022.
- Egypt will host the conference in Red Sea resort of Sharm El-Sheikh.
- This decision was taken after Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi showed in September Egypt’s interest in hosting COP27 on behalf of the African continent.
- Apart from that, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was selected to host COP28 international climate conference in the year 2023.
United Nations Climate Change Conferences
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) was signed at the United Nations Conference on Environment & Development in 1992.
- United Nations Conference on Environment & Development is also known as Rio Summit, Rio Conference or Earth Summit.
- India is among few countries to have hosted the COP of all three Rio conventions on climate change, biodiversity and land.
- UNFCCC was enforced on March 21, 1994.
- Till date, it has been ratified by 197 countries.
- UNFCCC is the parent treaty of the 2015 Paris Agreement as well as 1997 Kyoto Protocol.
- UNFCCC secretariat is a United Nations entity that has been tasked with supporting global response to the threat of climate change.
- It is headquartered in Bonn, Germany.
Conference of the Parties (COP)
- COP is the apex decision-making authority of UNFCCC.
- It meets every year.
- The first COP meeting was held in March 1995 in Berlin, Germany.
- COP meets in Bonn, seat if the secretariat.
- The office of the COP President rotates among five United Nations regional groups namely, Asia, Africa, Central & Eastern Europe, Latin America & the Caribbean, and Western Europe & Others. President of COP is usually the environment minister of home country, who is elected by acclamation after opening of COP session.