23 October 2021.
Bangladesh has planned to present its “climate prosperity plan” at the upcoming United Nations climate talks in Glasgow.
- Climate prosperity plan will be presented with the aim of mitigating the effects of global warming on economic development.
- This plan will also visualise boosting the renewable energy.
- It will make agriculture more resistant to climate shocks.
- The plan also seeks to find solutions in nature to challenges created by global warming, like restoring mangroves for protecting coasts from cyclones.
- The South Asian nation, Bangladesh, will also encourage other vulnerable countries as well in drafting their own plans.
- 26th UN Climate Change Conference (COP26) has been scheduled from October 31 to November 12 in Glasgow, Scotland.
- In the conference, representatives from more than 200 countries will gather and discuss new targets to cut or curb the growth of emissions which contribute to climate change.
Why Bangladesh launched this programme?
- In Bangladesh, most of 160 million people are packed into low-lying areas along the Bay of Bengal.
- This area is considered as prone to extreme weather, flooding, and loss of farmland due to rising ocean levels.
- Thus, to mitigate these challenges, Bangladesh has revealed its plan.
How will Climate Change impact economy?
- Bangladesh has emerged as one of the fastest growing economies in Asia.
- Its GDP had increased to $305 billion in 2019, from $6.2 billion in 1972.
- Some of the experts expect that, GDP will double in size by 2030.
- However, climate change might reverse this trend.
- The country is at the risk of displacement due to sea level rise, heat waves, severe floods, and cyclones.