October 8, 2021
India has officially joined the High Ambition Coalition for Nature and People, on October 7, 2021.
- India Joined the coalition at ceremony held between the French and Indian governments in New Delhi.
- “High Ambition Coalition (HAC) for Nature and People” is a group of more than 70 countries which encourages the adoption of global goal to protect 30×30.
Members of HAC
- HAC members presently comprise of a mix of countries in global north and south. Asia, Africa, European and Latin American countries are among the members of HAC.
- India became the first emerging economy from BRICS bloc to join the HAC.
- India’s announcement was done in the backdrop of lead up to a high-level biodiversity meeting which will be hosted by China.
- This virtual meeting will take place from October 11 to October 15.
- Meeting will discuss the key aspects of “biodiversity treaty” which is to be finalized in 2022.
- Global 30×30 goal is the centrepiece of biodiversity treaty.
- India’s goal to join the High Ambition Coalition for Nature and People, was initiated in January 2021 in Paris at the “One Planet Summit”.
- On the opening of COP15, Ambassador of France to India (Mr. Emmanuel Lenain) said that on India joining the High Ambition Coalition will be a real game changer.
- This move will boost multilateral efforts, since India is a major player for biodiversity protection.
Aim of the coalition
The HAC coalition aims for promoting an international agreement in order to protect at least 30 percent of world’s land and ocean by 2030.