4 August 2021.
- Administration has also issued warning to tourists for not venturing into the Arabian Sea.
- This step was taken in light of repeated drowning incidents involving tourists.
- Thus, nets were erected for about 1 km along the beach and red flags & warning signs not to enter the waters have been place.
- Tourists neglecting the warning will be imposed a fine of ₹500 each.
About Malpe Beach
- Malpe Beach best known for destination of holidays and picnics.
- It has a Sea Walkway with a view of St. Mary’s Island and Bhadargad Island.
- It comprises of a statue of a fishing family that includes a fisherman, fisherwoman, and child. Statue was created by artist Purushotham Adve.
- One gets a 24/7 wifi connection which is available for free for 30 minutes.
- Malpe is natural port located in Udupi District in Karnataka.
- It is located at the mouth of Malpe River.
- The port is an important and major fishing harbor on the coast of Karnataka coast.
- Malpe town is associated largely with settlements of Mogaveera fisherman community. It is hub of Mogaveera, Billava and Muslim population.
History of Malpe
Malpe is an ancient sea port and harbour through which Tuluvas and western world used to trade. Malpe was first mentioned in second century C.E. by Greek geographer Ptolemy.