10 June 2021.
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur have developed an early cyclone detection technique which will help in early detection of development or strengthening of tropical cyclones in North Indian Ocean region.
About Cyclone Detection Technique
- IIT developed this technique using Eddy detection technique.
- It will investigate formative stages and advance detection time of tropical cyclogenesis.
- This technique was studied under Climate Change Program with support from Department of Science and Technology.
- The technique was developed with the aim of identifying initial traces of pre-cyclonic eddy vortices in atmospheric column.
- It also seeks to track its spatio-temporal evolution.
- Researchers used a coarser grid resolution of 27 kilometres to identify the characteristics of eddy vortices.
How this technique is different?
- Earlier, remote sensing techniques were used to detect cyclones earliest.
- But this detection was possible only after development low-pressure system over warm ocean surface.
- New technique is based on cyclonic eddies which are prominent features of vertical atmospheric column inducing and developing into a cyclonic depression over warm ocean surface.
- They could be used to detect prediction of cyclones at early stage.
- Thus, larger time gap between detection and impact of cyclone could help in preparation activities.