7 June 2021.
According to Chief Minister of Assam, Himanta Biswa Sarma, Raimona reserve forest in Kokrajhar district has been upgraded to sixth national park of Assam. This forest comes under Bodoland Territorial Region (BTR) across the border with Bhutan.
National Parks of Assam:
- Kaziranga National Park
- Manas National Park,
- Nameri National Park,
- Orang National Park and
- Dibru-Saikhowa National Park.
Raimona National Park
- This national park of Assam is located in Gossaigaon subdivision of Kokrajhar district under BTR.
- Park is a part of contiguous forest patch having an area of 422 km2.
- It covers northern part of notified Ripu Reserve Forest which is the westernmost buffer to Manas Tiger Reserve.
- Park is home to golden langur, tigers, Asian elephants, clouded leopards, wild buffalo, Indian gaur, hornbill, spotted deer, 170 species of birds, 150 species of butterflies and 380 varieties of plants & orchids.
Manas National Park
- This national park is a UNESCO Natural World Heritage site, Elephant reserve, Project Tiger reserve and a biosphere reserve in Assam, India.
- It is contiguous with Royal Manas National Park of Bhutan.
- It is known for its rare and endangered endemic wildlife like golden langur, pygmy hog, Assam roofed turtle and hispid hare besides, wild water buffalo