23 May 2021.
Union Ministry of road and transport has recently notified about the draft rules for 4-wheeler tyres to raise the fuel efficiency. Norms for new model tyres will come in effect from October 1, 2021 while for the existing model, from October 1, 2022. Norms have been prepared on the line of norms followed in Europe.
- According to the draft norms, tyres of cars, buses and trucks should meet requirement like wet grip, rolling resistance and rolling sound emissions.
- New norms have been proposed with the aim of ensuring quality and reliability of tyres.
- New norms were proposed in accordance with the rules specified in Stage-II of Automotive Industry Standards (AIS) 142:2019.
- As per the standards, rolling resistance of tyres has its influence on fuel efficiency.
- Wet grip helps in better braking performance of the tyres under wet conditions.
- While, the Rolling sound emission standards will reduce the sound emitted from contact between tyres in motion and road surface.
- It will also help user to take informed decision.
Automotive Industry Standards (AIS)
- AIS are automotive technical specifications followed in India.
- These are based on UNECE(United Nations Economic Commission for Europe)