1.In your opinion,which is the most effective way to conserve the plant diversity of an area: –
a) by creating biosphere reserve.b) by creating botanical gardens.c) by developing seed bank.d) by tissue culture method.
i) only a, ii) both a) and b),iii) only b) and c) iv) all of the above.
2. Which one of the following is a pair of endangered species: –
a) Garden lizard and Mexican poppy.b) rhesus monkey and sal tree.c) Indian Peacock and carrot grass.d) hornbill and Indian aconite.
3. If the Bengal tiger becomes extinct:
a) hyenas and Wolves will become scarce.b) the wild areas will be safer for man and domestic animals.c) it’s gene pool will be lost forever.d) the population are beautiful animals like deers will get stabilised.
i) only a. ii) both a ) and b).iii) only c) iv )all.
4. Which one of the following animals is protected in Kaziranga sanctuary of Assam.
a) Indian bison.b) Indian lion.c) Indian rhinoceros.d) Indian elephant.
5. Which of the following is not done in a wildlife sanctuary?
a) fauna is conserved.b) flora is conserved.c) soil and flora is utilised.d) hunting is prohibited.
i)only a and b. ii) only c.iii) a aand d. iv) all are correct.
6. First national park develop in India is;
a) Gir. b) Kaziranga. c) Jim Corbett.d) none of these.
7. Which one of the following pairs of geographical areas show maximum biodiversity in our country?
a) Sundar bans and Rann of Kutch. b) Eastern Ghats and West Bengal.c) Eastern Himalaya and Western Ghat.d) Kerala and Punjab.
8. Genetic diversity in agricultural crops is threatened by:
a) introduction of high yielding varieties.b) intensive use of fertilisers.c) extensive intercropping.d) intensive use of biopesticides.
i)only a and b.ii) only b and c.iii) only c and d. iv) all of the above.
9. Which of the following is considered a hotspot of biodiversity in India
a) Aravalli Hills.b) Western Ghats.c) Indo Gangetic plain.d) Eastern Ghats.
10. Which of the following pairs of animal and plant represents endangered organisms in India?
a) Banyan and blackbuck. b) Tamarind and rhesus monkey. C) cinchona and Leopard.d) red Panda and Bentinckianscobarica.
11. Which one of the following is not included under in situ conservation?
a) National Park.b) Sanctuary.c) Botanical Garden.d) Biosphere reserve.
12. Which of the following is correctly matched pair of an endangered animal and a national Park.
a) great Indian bustard- Keoldeo National Park.
b) lion– Jim Corbett Park.
c) rhinoceros- Kaziranga national Park.
d) wild ass—Dudhwa national Park.
13. What is the main cause for the extinction of some species in tropical forests?
a) deforestation.b) a afforestation.c) pollution.d) soil erosion.
i) only a.ii) only d.iii) a and b.iv) only be.
14. In India, we find mangoes with different flavours, colours fibre content, sugar content animal shelflife the large variation is on account of
a) species diversity.b) induced mutations.c) genetic diversity.d) hybridisation.
i) both a and C.ii) only c.iii) only d.iv) none of the above.
15. Biosphere reserves differ from national parks and wildlife sanctuaries because in the former
a) human beings are not allowed to enter .b) people are an integral part of the system.c) plants are paid greater attention than the animals.d) living organisms are brought from all over the world and preserved for posterity.
i) only a. ii) both a and b.iii) only day. Iv) all of the above.
16.a) Diversity observed in the entire geographical area is called,gamma diversity.b) Biodiversity decreases from high altitude to low altitude. Which of the above statements/statement is correct.
i) statement a is correct and b is incorrect. ii) statement be is correct and a is incorrect.iii) both a and B are correct.iv) both a and B are incorrect.
17. The world by a devastatingly is celebrated annually on
a) 5th June.b) 29 December.c) 22nd April.d) 16 September.
18. Which of the following regions of our country are known for the rich biodiversity?
a) Western Ghats and Eastern Himalayas.b) Western Ghats and Deccan plateau.c) Eastern Himalaya and Gangetic plain.d) trans-Himalayas and Deccan plateau.
19. Identify the odd combination of the habitat and a particular animal concerned.
a) Sundar bans—– Bengal Tiger.
b) Periyar——— elephant.
c) Rann of Kutch——- wild ass.
d) Dachigam national Park——- snow Leopard.
20. Which one of the following pairs of organisms are exotic species introduced in India/
a) Lantana camera, Water Hycianth.
c) Nile perch. Ficus religiosa.
d) ficus religiosa,Lantana camera.
21. Quinn nine is obtained from
a) cinchona bark. b)root of cinchona.c) leaves of cinchona.
22. Manas sanctuaries located at
a) Rajasthan,b) Assam.c) Bihar.d) Gujarat.
23. Extinction of species in a food chain is compensated by
a) food chain.b) ecological pyramid.c) food web.d) none of these.
24. Which one of the following is not observed in biodiversity hotspots?
a) lesser intraspecific competition.b) species richness.c) endemism.d) accelerated species loss.
25. World summit on sustainable development 2002 was held in
a) Argentina.b) South Africa.c) Brazil.d) Sweden.
26. Habitat loss and fragmentation, overexploitation, alien species invasion and co-extinction are causes of
a) population explosion.b) migration.c) biodiversity loss.d) pollution.e) ecological succession.
27. The venues and year of the Earth summit conservation of biodiversity was
a) South Africa,2002.b) Rio de Janeiro 1992.c) Johannesburg 2004.d) Stockholm 1974.e) Ramsar 1974.
28. India became a party to convention on biological diversity in the year
a) 1994.b) 1993.c) 1992.d) 1998.
29. Which national Park is the new home of the Indian one horned rhinoceros
a) Dudhwa.b) Corbett.c) Kanha.d) Bandahvgarh.
30. The wildlife protection act was introduced in
a) 1972. b) 1981.c) 1986.d) 1991.
31. A tax on which is facing an extremely high risk of extinction in the wild in immediate future is known as
a) rare.b) exotic.c) critically endangered.d) endangered.
32. All the following are included under in situ conservation except.
a) national Park.b) sanctuary.c) botanical Garden.d) biosphere reserve.
33. Most of the endangered species are victims of
a) overhunting.b) acid rain.c) competition with introduced species.d) habitat destruction.
i) only c.ii) only d.iii) only a.iv) b and d.
34. List of endangered species is released by
a) IUC N.b) BBC.c) WCC.d) UN.
35. Tiger is not a resident in which one of the following national parks
a) Jim Corbett.b) Ranthambore.c)Gir d)Sunderban.
36. What is common to Lantana,Eichhornia and African Catfish
a) all are endangered species.b) all are keystone spp.c) all are mammals found in India.d) all the species are neither threatened nor indigenous species of India.
37. The extinction of passenger pigeon was due to
a) increased number of predatory birds.b) overexploitation by humans.c) nonavailability of the food.d) bird flu virus infection.
38. Which of the following statements is correct?
a) Parthenium is an endemic species of our country.b) African catfish is not a threat to indigenous catfishes.c) Steller’s seacow is an extinct animal.d)Lantana is popularly known as carrot grass.
39. Among the ecosystems mentioned below where can one find maximum biodiversity.
a) mangroves.b) desert.c) coral reefs.d) Alpine meadows.
40. Which of the following forests is known as the lungs of the planet Earth
a) taiga. b) tundra.c) Amazon on rainforest.d) rainforests of north-east India.
41. The active chemical drug reserpine is obtained from
42. Which of the following group of plants exhibit more species diversity
a) angiosperms.b) algae.c) bryophytes.d) Fungi.
43. Which of the below mentioned regions exhibit less seasonal variations
a) tropics.b) temperate.c) alpines.d) Both a and b.
44. The historic convention on biological diversity held in Rio de Janeiro in 1992 is known as
a)CITES convention.b) the Earth summit.c)G-16 summit.d)MAB programme.
45. What is the common technique in vitro fertilisation, cryopreservation and tissue culture?
a) All are insitu conservation methods.b) or la ex situ conservation methods.c) all require ultramodern equipment are large space.d) all methods of conservation of extinct organisms.
46. Which one of the following is an example of ex-situ conservation
a) national Park.b) wildlife sanctuary.c) seed bank.d) sacred grooves.
47. The natural habitat of Indian rhinoceroses found in which state
a) Arunachal Pradesh.b) Assam.c) Himachal Pradesh.d) Uttar Pradesh.
48. This single Wanderers Russes protected at
a)Anashi national Park.b) Rajeev Gandhi national Park.c), Kanha National Park,d) Kaziranga national Park.
49. The term Alpha diversity refers to
a) genetic diversity.b) community an ecosystem diversity.c) species diversity.d) diversity among plants.
50. India’s share in the global species diversity is about
a) 2%,b) 4%.c) 6%.d) 8%
51. Recently attempts are being made to introduce Tigers in this famous national Park
a) Corbett.b) Bandhavgarh.c) Sariska.d)Kanha.
52. Wildlife protection act 1972 was first amended in
a) 1991.b) 1995c) 2001.d) 2007.
53. Hotspots of biodiversity means
a) area of the Earth that contains many endemic species.
b) species serve as a proxy for entire communities in particular area.
c) species in particular niche/area
d) species diversity are particular area.
57. Which one of the following is correct expanded form of the acronym
a) IP CC- international panel for climate change.
b) UNEP- United Nations environmental policy.
C) EPA- environmental pollution agency.
d) IUC N- international union for conservation of nature and natural resources.
57. Which one of the following shows maximum genetic diversity in India
a) groundnut.b) rice.c) maize.d) mango.
58. Biodiversity of a geographic region represents
a) endangered species found in the region.b) the diversity in the organisms living in the region.c) genetic diversity the dominant species of the region.d) species endemic to the region.
59. The highest number of species in the world is represented by
a)Fungi.b) algae.c) mosses.d) lichens.
60. Sacred groves are especially useful in
a) generating environmental awareness.b) preventing soil erosion.c) year-round flow of water into rivers.d) conserving rare and threatened species.
61.Select the correct statement about biodiversity
a) the desert areas of Rajasthan and Gujarat have very high level of desert animal species as well as numerous rare animals.
b) large-scale planting of Bt cotton has no adverse effect on biodiversity.
c) Western Ghats have our very high degree of species richness and endemism.
d) conservation of biodiversity is just a fad pursued by developed countries.
62. The total number of identified biodiversity hotspots in the world’s
a) 25.b) 24.c) 34.d) 40.
63.Kanha National Park is located in
a) Madhya Pradesh.b) Orissa.c) Uttar Pradesh.d) Assam.
63. Which of the following countries has the highest biodiversity
a)Brazil. b) South Africa.c) Russia.d) India.
64. Which of the following is not a cause for loss of biodiversity?
a) destruction of habitat.b) invasion by alien species.c) keeping animals in zoological parks.d) overexploitation of natural resources.
65.Which of the following is not invasive spp in the Indian context.
a)Lantana. b) Cyonodon. c)Parthenium. d)Eichhornia
66. Where among the following will you find pitcher plant
a) rainforest of north-east India.b) Sundar bans.c) thar desert.d) Western Ghats
67. Which one of the following is not a major characteristic feature of biodiversity hotspot
a) large number of species.b) endemic species.c) large number of exotic species.d) destruction of habitat.
68. Among the animal groups given below which one has the highest percentage of endangered species.
a) insects.b) mammals.c) amphibians.d) reptiles.
69. In an effort to protect critically-endangered Vultures from being extinct, Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) has decided to set up Vulture Safe Zone (VSZ) in ___?
[A]Bundelkhand, Madhya Pradesh [B]Krishna, Andhra Pradesh [C]Ramnagar, Karnataka [D]Nasik, Maharasshtra.
70. Which among the following has been named “destination flyways” by United Nation World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO), recently? [A]Sunder bans Delta [B]Chilika Lagoon [C] Western Ghats [D]Astamudi Lake.
71. The “Lupus” is a medical condition arising from deficiency of which among the following ? [A]Protein [B]Vitamins [C]Immunity [D]Mineral.
72. The “Dachigam National Park” in Kashmir is most famous for ____? [A]Kashmir Stag [B]Snow Leopard [C]Hill Fox [D]Black Bear.
73. World’s largest tiger reserve “Hukawang Valley Tiger Reserve” is located in __: [A]Myanmar [B]China [C]Thailand [D]Nepal.
74. The Flamingo Festival is celebrated in__? [A] Andhra Pradesh [B]Karnataka [C]Kerala [D]Jammu & Kashmir.
75. Recently, which among the following states has rolled out “Jeevan Amrut Yojana (blood-on-call scheme) which is said to be first of its kind in the country? [A]Maharashtra [B]Haryana [C]Rajasthan [D]Gujarat.
76. In the context to India’s wild life, the flying fox is a __?
[A]Bat [B]Vulture [C]Stork [D]Kite .
77. In which state, Green Partners conservation programme aimed at turtle conservation is being organised? [A]Kerala [B]Bihar [C]Odisha [D]Tamil Nadu.
78. The most potent greenhouse gas among the following is __?
[A]Carbon dioxide [B]Methane [C]Water Vapor [D]Ozone.
79. The European Union has imposed ban on the pesticide namely neonicotinoids to protect which species of Insect? [A]Dragon Fly [B]Honey Bees [C]Vasp [D]Beetle.
80. The Medini Puraskar is given to a author who writes a book in Hindi on subject related to ___?
[A]Science [B]Environment [C]Medicine [D]Grammar.
What among the following is a partially enclosed body of water along the coast where freshwater from rivers and streams meets and mixes with salt water from the ocean ?
[A]Estuary [B]Ria [C]Tidal bore [D]Lagoon.
81. What among the following is a partially enclosed body of water along the coast where freshwater from rivers and streams meets and mixes with salt water from the ocean ?
[A]Estuary [B]Ria [C]Tidal bore [D]Lagoon.
82. What is the cause of origin of plants among living organisms ? [A]Plants are autotrophic [B]The structure of plant cell is simple [C]Animal cell has evolved from plant cell [D]Plant cell has evolved from animal cell.
83. Anaemia is caused by __:
1. Decrease in number of Red Blood Cells 2. Less than normal quantity of haemoglobin in the blood.
Choose the correct option from the codes given below: [A]Only 1 [B]Only 2 [C]Both 1 & 2 [D]Neither 1 nor 2.
84. Which among the following is the colored powder obtained from lichens, especially Roccella Tinctoria that changes red into acid solution and blue in an alkaline solution ? [A]Angus Monnex [B]Dry Powder [C]Litmus Powder [D]None of these.
85. The Biological Diversity Act, 2002 has made provisions for the establishment of the Biodiversity Management Committees. In this context, consider the following statements:
1. A Biodiversity Management Committee is established by the state government by notification 2. One of the major functions of the Biodiversity Management Committee is to promote conservation of the folk varieties and cultivars 3. Biodiversity Management Committee advises the state government on matters of biodiversity conservation on state level Which among the above statements is / are correct?
[A]Only 1 is correct [B]Only 1 & 2 are correct [C]Only 2 is correct [D]1, 2 & 3 are correct.
86. The Government of India has created some gene sanctuaries in Meghalaya for citrus. What advantages are offered by the Gene Sanctuaries? 1. Gene Sanctuaries provide ex-situ conservation of plant genetic resources 2. Gene sanctuaries provide cheap method of germplasm conservation 3. Gene Sanctuaries provide a way to preserve both the wild species and natural ecosystems
. Choose the correct option from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 [B]Only 1 & 2 [C]Only 3 [D]Only 2 & 3
87. . Which among the following disease(s) are vector borne? 1. Chikungunya 2. Japanese Encephalitis (JE) 3. Lymphatic Filariasis 4. Kala-azar Choose the correct option from the codes given below: [A]Only 1 & 2 [B]Only 1, 2 & 3 [C]Only 2, 3 & 4 [D]1, 2, 3 & 4.
85. Which among the following is / are Ozone Depleting Substances?
1. Carbon Monoxide 2. Carbon tetrachloride 3. Water Vapor Choose the correct option from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2 [B]Only 2 [C]1, 2 & 3 [D]Only 2 & 3.
86. . Gahirmatha marine wild sanctuary is home to which of the following endangered species? [A]Dolphins [B]Olive Ridley sea turtles [C]Salt Crocodiles [D]None of the above.
87. . In which district Simlipal Tiger Reserve is located?
[A]Bhadrak [B]Bargarh [C]Mayurbhanj [D]Naupada.
89. Lion-tailed macaque is found in __
: [A]Eastern Ghats [B] Western Ghats [C]East Himalayas [D]West Himalayas.
90. . Where Kerala Forest Research Institute is located?
[A]Peechi [B]Thalassery [C]Kottayam [D]Sivagiri.