22 March 2021.
The International Day of Forests is observed by the United Nations on March 21. The day commemorates the green cover across the world highlighting its importance. The day was observed under the theme– “Forest restoration: a path to recovery and well-being”.
About International Day of Forests
- The international day of forest was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in the year 2012.
- The day is marked with the celebrations and it raises awareness regarding the importance of all types of forests.
- The countries across the world are encouraged to undertake the local, national and international efforts in order to organize the activities like tree-planting campaigns with respect to forests and trees.
- This day is celebrated by the United Nations Forum on Forests and Food & Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations.
- These organisations collaborate with governments, Collaborative Partnership on Forests and other such organisations in the field.
Theme of the day
- The theme for the day is chosen by “Collaborative Partnership on Forests”.
- The theme was chosen with the aim of emphasising how the restoration and sustainable management of the forests can help in addressing the climate change and biodiversity crisis.
- It will also help in producing the goods and services for sustainable development.
- It will also foster an economic activity which in turn will create jobs and improve lives.
- The theme also fit into the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration which is in place from 2021-2030.
- The ecosystem restoration calls to protect and revive the ecosystem across the world.