20 March 2021.
An innovation of IIT Bombay- Energy Swaraj Yatra Bus has been buit by Dr. Chetan Singh Solanki a professor in IIT Bombay.The Union Education Minister, Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, took his ride in the ‘Energy Swaraj Yatra’ bus to raise awareness about the solar energy.
- The “Energy Swaraj Yatra” bus runs on the solar energy.
- It comprises of a complete work-cum-residential unit.
- This yatra will continue till 2030.
- While taking the ride, the education minister highlighted that, this project is in line with the “National Education Policy” which comprises of an “in-built framework for imparting skills” with respect to the use of solar energy in schools and colleges.
- The minister also stated that, this bus has been designed with the objective of creating a public movement for the adoption of 100 percent solar energy.
About “Energy Swaraj Yatra” Bus
- The bus allows the occupant to perform all the daily activities such as bathing, cooking, sleeping, working, meeting and training.
- This bus has been fitted with the 3.2 kW solar panels. It is having the capacity of 6 kWh of battery storage.
Energy Swaraj Yatra
- The concept of “Energy Swaraj Yatra” is based on “Gandhian ideologies” to mitigate the climate change and to ensure the energy sustainability.
- Climate change has become an emergency which requires public efforts in order to mitigate it.
- The Energy Swaraj Movement was started to bring about the public awareness and their involvement to solve climate change problem.
Dr Chetan Singh Solanki
- Dr Solanki has initiated the “Energy Swaraj Yatra” mission in the year 2020 to raise awareness regarding the adoption of solar energy.
- He is a professor from IIT Bombay who have pledged to not go home until the year 2030.
- During 2020-2030 he has pledged to live and travel in the solar bus.
- He was recently made the Brand Ambassador of Solar Energy of Madhya Pradesh by Shivraj Singh Chouhan, the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh.