13 March 2021.
On March 11 2021, the Sangay volcano of Ecuador erupted and it ejected the clouds of ash up to the height of 8,500 meters into the sky.
- Though the capital city is located around 50 kilometres away from the Sangay Volcano, even then the eruption,caused the sky in the capital of Chimborazo called Riobamba to be overcast with the ash cloud
- .The Sangay volcano has recorded activity since past few weeks now.
- The ash from the volcano has also damaged the crops and cattle around the city.
About Sangay Volcano
- The Sangay volcano is one among the highest active volcanoes across the world.
- This is the most active volcano in the Ecuador even though it has erupted only for four times in the past because the eruption of 1934 is still going on.
- The volcano is the southernmost stratovolcano located in the northern volcanic zone of the Andes. It is around 5230 metre in height.
- It is home to the significant biological community with fauna like giant otter, mountain tapir, Andean cock-of-the-rock and king vulture.
- The ecological community of the protected under the Sangay National Park since 1983.
- The park is a world heritage site.
- The volcano was erupted historically in the year 1628. After that, continuous eruptions were reported in between 1728 & 1916 to 1934 & present.
- It has had frequent eruptions mostly of strombolian type.
The volcano comprising of the alternate layers of lava and ash is called as stratovolcano.
- The type of volcanic eruption comprising of mild blasts are called as the Strombolian eruption.
- Such eruptions are having the Volcanic Explosivity Index of 1 to 3. It comprises of ejection of the incandescent cinders, lava bombs and lapilli.
- It rises up to the altitudes of tens to hundreds of metres.