17 February 2021
A start-up of IIT Madras Pi Beam has recently launched an electric two-wheeler (e- bike) named PiMo.
- PiMo, has 90% of components manufactured in India,it is a stylishly designed two-wheeler offering a range of 50 km on a single charge with a top speed of 25 kmph.
- PiMo should be the catalyst to kickstart a revolution in converting all intra-city mobility in India, while fulfilling our PM’s vision of being Atmanirbhar.
- Pi Beam has set an aim of selling 10,000 vehicles by the end of financial year 2021-22.
- The bike was founded by an IIT Madras Alumini Visakh Sasikumar.
- 100 customers have already pre-booked the e-bike.
- The electric two-wheeler can charge faster than a smartphone.
- The sustainable and affordable bike has a range of 50 km.
- The e-bike was launched for the personal and commercial needs.
- It’s price has been tagged at Rs. 30,000.
- It does not require licence or registration.
- The e-bike will offer the green and easy mobility on Indian roads.
- 90 per cent of the components of bike such as crucial batteries and controllers were manufactured in India.
- Thus, it is among few EVs in the local market that follows the spirit of ‘Make in India’ spirit.
Features of the e-bike
- The e-bike stands between an electric bicycle and the entry-level electric scooter.
- It has a top speed of 25 kmph.
- The e-bike provided a higher travel range when compared to the electric bicycle category.
- The bike also offers a Battery Swapping’ Technology.
Battery Swapping Technology
- Using this technology, a drained battery can be exchanged with a fully charged battery at the designated locations.
Pi Beam Electric
- It is an an IIT Madras-incubated start-up.
- The company provides for a range of green, stylish, affordable and easy-to-use EV solutions for personal and commercial uses.
- IT also offers an end-to-end micro-mobility sustainable EVs.
- The EVs are data-driven that augment the productivity for the last-mile logistics and transportation.