8 February 2021.
Raini village in Chamoli district is the epicentre of the tragedy.Rishiganga, a tributary of the Alaknanda river, swelled and triggered a massive flood in the hilly state. Apparently a tremendous volume of snowmelt, or a mammoth chunk of a glacial lake, or a hidden icy lake in a glacier, joined the waters of the Rishiganga, washing away everything in its path.
- Scientists are yet to ascertain the cause.
- Rishiganga hydropower plant and The NTPC-owned Vishnughad Tapovan power plant have been affected.
- Tragedy occurred near the Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve.
- Raini is the birth place of the famous Chipko Movement.
- Snow and Avalanche Study Establishment (SASE) are investigating the matter.
- SASE works under the nodal head Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- The breach has resulted into increase in water levels in the Dhauliganga River and the Rishiganga, one of the tributaries of Dhauliganga River.
- It is a Himalayan river in Uttarakhand.
- It is one of the two headstreams of River Ganga. The other is the Bhagirathi.
- River Alaknanda is also called as the source stream of the Ganges because of its greater length and discharge.
- But in Hindu mythology and culture, Bhagirathi is called as the source stream of Ganga.
- There are five main tributaries of Alaknanda in order namely the River Dhauliganga, River Nandakini, River Pindar, River Mandakini and River Bhagirathi. All of them rise in the northern mountainous regions of Uttarakhand.
- It is one of the best rivers for river rafting in the world because of its high rafting grade.