5 January 2021
The world’s largest floating 600 MW solar energy project is to be constructed on Narmada river”s Omkareshwar Dam in Khandwa district of Madhya Pradesh .
- It will begin power generation by year 2022-23.
- The estimated investment in this project stands at Rs 3,000 crore.
- The project will have 600 MW power generation capacity .
- The project will provide cheap and good quality power.
- Electricity will be produced in about 2000-hectare water area by installing solar panels in the dam.
- Solar panels will float on the surface of the water in the reservoir.
- When the water level of the dam is low, it will automatically adjust upwards and downwards.
- Strong waves and floods will have no effect on them. The sun’s rays will continue to produce electricity.
- International Finance Corporation and World bank and Power Grid of India will provide financial assistance to the project.
About Floating Solar Power Plants:
- The floating solar power plant refers to solar panels installed on structures that float on surface of the water.
- Floating photovoltaic Solar Power plant uses photovoltaic panels installed on floating platform
- Floating concentrated solar power System uses mirrors to redirect the solar power to a tower.
- No need to use any land.
- They help to reduce water evaporation. Therefore, is highly water saving.
- Solar power plants have a natural cooling system generated by the water layer beneath the panels