The Defence Research and Development Organisation and the Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation have inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU),wherein the DRDO will render technical support for the implementation of its advanced biodigester Mk-II technology, for the treatment of human waste (night soil) in the metro rail network.
- DRDO’s biodigester is an indigenous, green and cost-effective technology, with a rare distinction of having one of the largest numbers of DRDO-licencees.
- Indian Railways has already installed about 2.40 lakh biodigesters in its fleet of passenger coaches.
- Now for MAHA-METRO, the technology has been revamped and further improved, in a bid to save water and space.
- A customized version of this MK-II Biodigester, suitable for treating human waste generated from houseboats in Dal Lake was successfully demonstrated by the DRDO to Jammu and Kashmir Administration.
About Biodigester Technology:
- The biodigester technology was basically developed by DRDO for the Indian armed forces in high altitude Himalayan regions.
- The biodigester technology degrades and converts human waste into usable water and gases. The generated gas is used for cooking and water for irrigation purposes. This is done in an eco-friendly manner.
Working of bio digester technology?
- The biodigester technology involves bacteria that feed upon fecal matter.
- The fecal matter is dumped into a tank along with the bio digesting bacteria.
- The bacteria through anaerobic process will degrade the fecal matter.
- During the process water and methane gas are released.