18 December 2020.
Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) has been awarded with the prestigious Golden Peacock Environment Management Award for the year 2020 in the Steel Sector by the Institute of Directors. SAIL has been the winner of this award for successive two years. The Company has made efforts for sustainable and environmentally responsible steel making.
About the award:
- Golden Peacock Environment Management Award was instituted by the World Environment Foundation in 1998.
- This award is one of the most coveted awards in the category.
- The award encourages corporates to enhance their environmental performance and make efforts to mitigate the effects of global warming and climate change.
- The award was conferred on SAIL in a virtual award presentation ceremony held on 15th December, 2020.
Achievements of SAIL:
- As its Corporate Responsibility for Environment Protection SAIL continuously focuses on adopting various environmental measures :
- Upgrading of pollution control facilities.
- Treatment & recirculation of wastewater from individual units & outfalls.
- Enhancement in the green cover in & around Plants & Units.
- Efficient handling of different solid wastes (viz. process waste, hazardous waste, canteen/township waste).
- Carbon sequestration through afforestation.
- Eco-restoration of mined out area.
- Improving cleaner environment.
- Reducing emissions & discharges.
- Mitigating impacts of climate change and helping the Company to conduct its operations in environmentally benign manner.
- According to the notification on Regulation of Polychlorinated Biphenyl issued in April 2016 by Government of India, the use of Polychlorinated Biphenyl in any form shall be prohibited completely by 2025. In order to achieve this, the Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change along with the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation has initiated a project. The project is being funded by the Global Environmental Facility and SAIL.