November 28 2020.
Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar has launched the India Climate Change Knowledge Portal. The portal will have all the major steps the Government is taking at both national and international levels to address the climate change issues. According to Mr Javadekar India has practically achieved its pre-2020 climate action targets.
Highlights of the portal:
- It will be a single-point information resource that provides information on the different climate initiatives taken by various government bodies.
- The portal provides adaptation and mitigation actions taken by different Ministries. It includes updated information about the implementation of these actions as well.
- The eight major components of the portal are climate profile of India, India’s NDC goals, National Policy Framework, adaptation action, bilateral and multilateral cooperation, report and Publication, mitigation actions, International climate negotiations.
India is the only G20 country to achieve 2C target:
- India is the only G20 country that is on track to meet the 2015 Paris agreement.
- The 2C target is to keep the Global average temperature increase within two degree Celsius as compared to that of Pre industrial level till 2100.
- Earlier it was set as 1.5 degree Celsius under the Paris agreement signed in 2015. However, India is not on track to achieve the 1.5-degree pathway.
- According to TERI (The Energy and Resources Institute), 19 other emerging and leading economies are far from achieving their goals. This includes US, China and the European Union.
Nationally determined contributions of India
The following are the three national determined contributions of India:
- To reduce emission intensity of GDP by about one-third by 2030
- To achieve 40% of installed capacity of electricity from non-fossil fuel sources
- To achieve additional carbon sink of 2.5 billion to 3 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent forest cover for tree cover by 2030.