27 September 2020.
A species of catfish native to the Amazon River in South America has now been found in the River Ganges in Varanasi. This fish was located in Ganges river passing through Ramna in Ramnagar.
- According to the scientists in BHU,this fish is found in Amazon River in South America.
- The zoological name of the fish is Hypostomus plecostomus and it is known as pleco elsewhere in the world.
- It does not require special conditions to breed and can breed anywhere.
- This is carnivorous fish and is a threat to the country’s ecosystem
- Scientists have claimed that this fish can destroy the Ganges ecosystem.
How did it arrive in Ganges?
It is not yet clear how it has reached Ganges, while there is a possibility that as it is an ornamental fish and must have been released from a private aquarium by its owner in Ganges.