26 September 2020.
The World Environment Health Day is globally observed on 26 September every year. Aim is to highlight the work being done on environment health around the world.
Theme for year 2020:
Environmental health, a key public intervention in disease pandemic prevention. It is being targeted towards preventing the disease and creating health supportive environment.
- The World Environmental Health Day was launched by the International Federation of Environmental Health (IFEH) council.
- It was launched in 2011 in Indonesia.
- In 2012 the event was observed in Africa.
- In 2013 the event was supported by Canadian, British, American and Asian activists.
- The theme for 2019 was ‘Climate change challenges, time for global Environmental Health to act in unison’ in order to tackle climate changes.
- In 2020 is hosted in Columbia.
- According to 2020 report by the world health organisation (WHO),24 % of global deaths that is 13.7 million deaths are related to environment.
- Hence the day plays a significant role in educating public about methods of reducing the environmental health issues and take precaution in order to avoid disease.
About International Federation of Environmental Health (IFEH):
- Established in 1986.
- It is based in London.
- Spreads knowledge about environmental health among people and promotes co-operation between countries to improve the environmental situation of our planet.
- Every year it announces a new theme organises events to draw the attention of the people to environmental issues.