8 June ,2020
A massive fire broke out and engulfed the Baghjan oil field on June 9 2020. This well ( no 5) of Oil Indian Limited had blown out on 27th May and had been leaking gas for the past 14 days.
How the blowout happened
- A blowout occurs as a result of increased pressure, which in this case had risen to around 4,000 PSI (pound per square inch), much higher than the normal pressure of 2,700.
- The blowout, took place when the oil well was being serviced on the morning of 27 May.
- A probe has been initiated to understand how the gas leaked despite the sealing.
- This is the second such incident after the year 2015 when OIL’s gas well blew up in Dikom in Dibrugarh district, which took over a month to control.
Highlights and Environmnetal Impacts:
- Fire could be seen several kilometers away from the site close to Dibru Saikhowa National Park and the eco-sensitive Maguri Mottapung wetland.
- Paddy fields, Grasslands,Nature and livelihood of people everything has been destroyed.
- This is adversely affecting the flora and fauna of the Dibru-Saikhowa National Park which is only 2 km away from the spot.
- Caracasses of endangered Gangetic dolphins and aquatic life are seen floating in the Maguri Mottapung Wetland whivh is only 1 km from the site.
- The paddy fields and wetlands have been contaminated and threats are increasing.
- Around 6,000 people living around the natural gas producing well have been evacuated.
- Rs. 30,000 have been announced for the affected families by OIL.
- It will take atleast six momths to restore the affected area.