21 May 2020.
- On May 21 Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar interacted with Chief Ministers, Cabinet ministers and government officers of six states on issues relating to a notification on Ecologically Sensitive Area (ESA) of Western Ghats.
- Kerala, Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu were represented during the video conference.
- The states wanted an early notification to enable them to protect the ecology and environment of Western Ghats.
- The Central government had formed a working group under the chairmanship of Dr Kasturirangan for conserving and protecting the biodiversity of Western Ghats while allowing sustainable and inclusive development of the region.
- The working group recommended that geographical areas falling in the six states could be identified and declared as Ecologically Sensitive Areas (ESA). A draft notification was issued in October 2018 mentioning the areas to be notified in the ESA.
- States were unanimous that there is a need to ensure protection of the Western Ghats. It was decided that state-specific issues should be further deliberated so as to arrive at a consensus on the issue.
- All states wanted early notification of ESA.
- Maharashtra proposed to include 2,092 villages under ESA.
- The Centre proposed to include 2,133 villages.
About Kasturirangan Comitttee:
- To conserve and protect the bio diversity of Western Ghats while allowing for sustainable and inclusive development of the region, Government of India had constituted a High Level Working Group under the Chairmanship of Dr. Kasturirangan.
- The Committee had recommended that identified geographical areas falling in the six States of Kerala, Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu may be declared as Ecologically Sensitive Areas (ESA).
- A draft notification was issued in October 2018 mentioning the areas to be notified in the ESA.
What is ESA?
- An eco-sensitive area is a specified area where restrictions are put on mining, thermal plants,quarrying,construction and setting up of industries.
- What is significance of Western Ghats: