22 April 2020
Every year April 22 is celebrated as Earth Day. This year April 22, 2020 celebrates 50th anniversary of the Earth Day. Due to the Covid -19 pandemic the events are being held digitally. On Wednesday, the 50th anniversary of Earth Day will be celebrated by different types of digital events—global conferences, calls to action, performances, and video teach-ins to name a few. Moreover, many online activities will be focused on different environmental issues across the globe.
First Earth Day –
- Was celebrated on April 22 1970. On this day 20 million Americans took to the streets, to protest against environmental ignorance and demand a new way forward for the planet.
- The first Earth Day is credited with launching of the modern environmental movement, and is now recognized as the planet’s largest civic event.
Theme of Earth Day 2020.: Climate Action.-Climate change represents the biggest challenge to the future of humanity and the life-support systems that make our world habitable.
- At the end of 2020, nations will be expected to increase their national commitments to the 2015 Paris Agreement on climate change.
- It is time now for greater global ambition to tackle climate crisis.
- Unless every country in the world steps up – and steps up with urgency and ambition — we are consigning current and future generations to a dangerous future.
- We need to meet our climate crisis and seize the enormous opportunities of a zero-carbon future.
- UN Secretary General António Guterres urged people to act decisively to protect the planet from both the coronavirus and the existential threat of climate disruption.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi emphasised work towards a cleaner, healthier and more prosperous planet.
Significance of Earth Day:
- Earth Day led to passage of landmark environmental laws in the United States, including the Clean Air, Clean Water and Endangered Species Acts.
- Many countries soon adopted similar laws, and in 2016, the United Nations chose Earth Day as the day to sign the Paris Climate Agreement into force.
- India has the heritage of living in sync with nature and worshipping Earth as Mother!