30 March 2020
Millions of people around the world will turn off their lights on 28th March(which is the last Saturday of the month) for Earth Hour, an international event which encourages everyone to protect the planet.
About Earth Hour:
- Earth Hour, organized by WWF, is a global grassroots movement uniting people to take action on environmental issues and protect the planet.
- Earth Hour was famously started as a lights out event in Sydney, Australia in 2007.
- This is primarily done to focus attention of the people towards global warming,biodiversity loss and climate change.
- Lights and electronic items are switched off between 8.30- 9.30 PM.
- Millions of people from more than 185 countries participate to show their concern.
- Turning off lights of the world like Empire State,Effel Tower sends strong messages
- The first Earth Hour event was held on 31 March 2007 and was conducted by WWF-Australia. More than 2.2 million individuals and 2,000 businesses turned their lights out for one hour in the first Earth Hour event.
What has Earth Hour achieved since the movement began?
- WWF-Uganda created the world’s first Earth Hour Forest
- More than 250,000 Russians voiced support for better protection of their country’s seas and forests
- Argentina used its 2013 Earth Hour campaign to help pass a Senate bill for a 3.4 million hectares Marine Protected Area in the country
- Thousands of wood-saving stoves were distributed to families in Madagascar
- Solar-powered lights were installed in three villages without electricity in India
- In Paraguay, WWF used the Earth Hour platform to build public support to gain an extension of the logging moratorium, helping to reduce deforestation
- Education programs for schools were launched in Thailand and Taiwan
- Hundreds of thousands of LED lights were installed by girl scouts in the USA
- More than 2,123 mitigation actions submitted by Earth Hour City Challenge 2014 by participating cities.
What does the logo of Earth Hour Represent?
- The standard Earth Hour logo is “60” that represents 60 minutes of Earth Hour.
- The new logo of Earth Hour is “60+” that represents the commitment from every single hand towards the protection of our planet.
Do you know?
On 28th March at 8:30 pm local time the UAE marked a digital Earth Hour for the first time due to the COVID-19 crisis worldwide.