23 March 2020
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in his message on World Water Day, 22 March 2020, announced that by 2050, between 3.5 and 4.4 billion people will live with limited access to water, with more than 1 billion of them living in cities.
- Around 2.2 billion people in the world lack safe drinking water.
- Around 4.2 billion of global population live without adequate sanitation.
- Adapting to the water effects of climate change will protect health and save lives.
- Using water more efficiently will reduce greenhouse gases.
- We cannot wait.
- Everyone has a role to play.
- Member countries should increase investment towards climate resilient water storage infrastructure.
- The upcoming COP 26 to be held in Glasgow should focus on reducing emissions and increase water sustainability.